Thursday 17 March 2011

My Final Thank You To Asia...

...or should that be dhanyabhad, Nepal. Xiexie, China. Khawp jai, Laos. Khop kun ka, Thailand. Ar kun, Cambodia. Carm on, Vietnam. I have a few words to say to you all...

Ode To The Forgotten People

India’s slum-dwellers,
The porters of Nepal,
Vietnam’s hammock-sellers,
Here’s an ode to you all.

Every cyclo-driver,
Landmine victims of Laos,
Khmer Rouge survivors,
All stand up, take a bow.

China’s handless artist,
Prostitutes of Thailand,
Now I try to assist,
Now I’m making a stand.

Asia’s forgotten souls-
Not forgotten by me,
I hope you hear these calls
For I can hear your plea.

I know you are not weak,
Those who think so are wrong,
Your future may look bleak,
But I know that you’re strong,
You do not need to speak
Your eyes sing your sad song.



An Education

India taught me
To see with my heart,
To wear bright clothes,
To make life an art.

Nepal revealed
What I can achieve-
I can reach new heights
If I just believe.

China made me think
For English was rare,
And riding their roads
Gave me a bike scare!

But then, friendly Laos
Taught me to just chill,
And that confidence
Makes bike rides a thrill!

Thailand proved to me
Fear is in the mind,
After ocean dives
I can leave fear behind!

Cambodia showed me
How cruel life can be,
Never forgetting
And strength sets souls free.

Vietnam’s lesson-
Don’t let wars break you,
Stay true to yourself,
Then they will make you.

Strength in poverty,
Sweeping aside fear,
Kindness though desperate:
Identity's dear.

Asia, you’ve grabbed me
And shaken me hard,
You’ve scratched away truth
And left me here scarred.
.
I’ve learned, loved and laughed
Much more than before,
Your lands have enriched me-
I’ll be back for more.

One final beer in Seoul before heading on the plane to Vancouver. Bye bye Asia...

No comments:

Post a Comment