Thursday 8 March 2012

REVIEW: WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN- Lionel Shriver




Unlike other books I've read recently, I picked this book to read knowing full well what it was about. That still didn't prepare me for how this novel would effect me...

Each of the novel's chapters is written in letter form, as Eva Khatchadourian corresponds with her estranged husband, Franklin, about their son, Kevin. But why do the parents 'need to talk about Kevin'? Two years previously, Kevin killed nine of his fellow high school classmates- and Eva is trying to figure out why, and just how much is her fault.


The beauty of this novel lies in the language; by making Eva a travel writer, Shriver gives the character the opportunity for clear, descriptive expression. Her desperation and stubborness, with the undercurrent of an inner strength that is quickly depreciating, is all conveyed through her fantastically written flashbacks. Her frustration with Franklin's blindness to Kevin's ruthless behaviour would get tiresome after a while, were it not overulled by a fierce loyalty and love. 


I truly got the impression that Eva knew her son better than anybody else- even if this did not make her life any easier. There were some aspects of her character that I could relate to, and some I was not so sure about; however, throughout the novel I steadily gained a respect for her, and found myself constantly thinking 'well, what would I do in that situation?'.


When I've heard about previous high school shootings in the media, I've always judged the evil without thinking what the root of it could be. We Need To Talk About Kevin does not necessarily provide a clear cut root; what the novel does is highlight the inevitable human need to FIND a reason in evil. How much of who we are is defined by our family, and how much is innate? Is it hopeless to try and change a bad character? Should it be treated with bitterness or kindness? Join Eva as she tries to make sense of all these questions- and watch out for a twist that will paint everything in an even more desperate light.

No comments:

Post a Comment