Wednesday 14 September 2011

REVIEW: STARTER FOR TEN- David Nicholls


After reading novels about the Holocaust, slavery and attempted suicide recently, I felt it was time for a light-hearted read...and who better to turn to than One Day author, David Nicholls?

I think I related to the protagonist Brian Jackson a little bit too well- and not just because he is an English Literature student. Starter For Ten documents Brian's first term at university, and the lead up to his appearance on his favourite show, University Challenge. For my non-British readers, UC is a TV gameshow whereby there are two teams from two different universities, each with four members, who try to answer as many general knowledge questions as possible. It has always been Brian's dream to be on the show, and when he makes the team, along with the beautiful, blonde Alice, he thinks life can't really get much better. Cue one catastrophe after another, as Brian tries to contend with the pressures of unsavoury characters and situations in his lovably geeky way.

Sadly, not as good as One Day- but then was it ever going to be? However, it is still a brilliantly funny read that keeps you wanting more and more. Even though many '80's references went over my head, I could definitely relate to the characters met at university- and felt his pain. Also made me realise that British universities really haven't changed that much since the '80's...scary thought.

Am in the mood for Dickens next...don't ask me why!! Somehow am feeling the need for classics in my life (probably the most pretentious thing I've ever said). Think it was Brian that got me in the mood with his love of literature...

No comments:

Post a Comment