Tuesday 13 March 2012

REVIEW: THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY- Suzanne Collins


The three books in The Hunger Games Series: 1. The Hunger Games
                                                                                 2. Catching Fire
                                                                                 3. Mockingjay

I knew I loved dystopian novels, but I still wasn't sure how much I would love the latest teen craze, The Hunger Games. Would I become hopelessly addicted like I did to Harry Potter, or annoyed by its popularity like Twilight (sorry Twilight fans- vampires have never been my thing)? Well, I'm pleased to say that the odds were definitely in THG's favour...

The story takes place in Panem, a future version of North America that is comprised of twelve Districts, and the Capitol. Long ago, the Districts staged an uprising against the Capitol, demanding more power for the people. As a punishment for this reckless behaviour, the all-powerful Capitol created an annual event called 'The Hunger Games', where one boy and one girl from each of the twelve districts would be required to fight in an arena- until only one survives.


A pretty scary scenario, I think you'll agree, and brilliantly told by our feisty protagonist and narrator, sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen- a major player in the Games and subsequent events. There will be two questions you ask yourself as you read these books- 'Katniss, or Peeta?' and 'Peeta, or Gale?'. For the record, I'm very undecided about both, although maybe leaning towards Peeta for the second question. I've always been a sucker for unconditional love and kindness.

Wondering what on earth I'm talking about? Then pick up the first in the trilogy, and allow yourself to be transported to a future world of frugality and brutality, action and passion. Follow Katniss in her life-changing journey, and admire her; ask yourself what you would do in her unfortunate shoes, and respect her. Remind yourself that hardship brings a determination that cannot be reckoned with, and that evil can be stopped with patience and bravery. Most of all, we should take heed of  Collins' warning, so that the odds are ever in our world's favour...

No comments:

Post a Comment