Saturday 5 November 2011

A Fijian Wedding...


Well, it's taken me a week, but I've finally got a chance to tell you all about the traditional Fijian wedding I attended last Saturday. The bride, Rosie, is a Fijian girl who volunteered with me at FCOSS- she actually worked in Surrey, B.C. for two years! She loved Canada, but came home to Fiji to marry her childhood sweetheart, Wise.

As I mentioned before, Ro Iva was kind enough to make me a 'sulu chamba': an outfit commonly worn by Fijian ladies. I'm in awe of what Ro Iva can achieve with her sewing machine...especially given my complete inability to use them. Think I broke at least two a day in Textiles lessons at school! Anyway, back to the sulu chamba. Sulu chambas are usually comprised of a blouse and long shirt; sometimes the blouse goes right down below the bum, and sometimes- like mine- it finishes at the waist. I've been spoiled in the last couple of weeks with my experiences of different cultures- and the costumes that come with them have been one of the best parts. I've yet to see an ex-pat wearing a sulu chamba around town...a few supermarket staff gave me surprised looks when I went shopping after the wedding!

So, along with my companions Ro Iva, Micheal and Kesa (the latter two are FCOSS volunteers), I took a pew. Of course, with this being a traditional Fijian wedding, it had to run on Fijian time, i.e an hour and a half late. But did the congregation grumble? Did they sigh and tut while looking at their watches? Of course not- they took a very positive, very Fijian attitude, and broke into song...several times...even harmonizing! Very impressive. One lady even began to conduct from the front when she thought enough people weren't joining in; according to Ro Iva's interpretation, she said to the audience: 'This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's celebrate!' Exactly the spirit that should be taken at a wedding!

So! The ceremony itself! Instead of the groom waiting at the altar, the bride and groom came down the asile together, both donning spectacular Fijian costumes. Both Rosie and Wise were in 'masi' attire: a striking, burnt orange gown, and flower-garland/wrap-around costume combo respectively. My words can't really do justice to these outfits- see the photos below to get a better idea of their magnificence! The whole ceremony was in Fijian, so I didn't actually understand a word, but I still enjoyed seeing the smiles on the faces of Rosie and Wise, and still laughed with everybody else at funny parts in the speeches.

After the wedding was the reception at Noble House, a lovely colonial building in nearby Flagstaff. There was no table plan, so Ro Iva suggested that we get to Noble House as quickly as possible in order to secure the best seats. Seems like she had the right idea, because we managed to secure one of the tables at the front! Again, we had a little while to wait as 400 guests piled into the room, with two ladies performing a Pacific-style dance to keep us entertained. Before too long, the bride and groom themselves entered, wearing different outfits: Rosie a white wedding dress, Wise a blue shirt with a garland. The buffet meal was delicious and full of variety: everything from spaghetti to sweet-and-sour-chicken was put onto our plate! Not forgetting the delicious slice of wedding cake...

So, my first Fijian-style wedding was a fantastic experience...I wish I could be here for Ashika and Ro Iva's weddings, both in December!! All the best, Rosie and Wise- may you have a very happy future together!
Audrey, Ro Iva and I.

The best men and bridemaids waiting for the couple.

Rosie and Wise.

Rosie in her 'masi' wedding attire.


Michael, Audrey and Ro Iva.

Ladies in colourful chambas waiting outside the church.

The best men in their traditional outfits.
Me, Ro Iva, Michael and Audrey.

Two ladies performing a Pacific dance to entertain us at the reception.
Our reception table- right at the front!



The happy couple and their bridesmaids/groomsmen.


Three Fijian ladies pretending to fight! Bizarre, but amusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment