Friday 21 October 2011

Lizzie Hayes' Magical Christmas Travels- Part 6

A little later than usual, but here's Part 6 of Lizzie Hayes' tale. Am pleased to actually use some of my own photos as well for this one!...

Lizzie Hayes' Magical Christmas Travels

Chapter 6

So, the mystery was partly solved
On how the magic globe evolved
But one thing kept young Liz compelled:
The magic that those beavers held.
How were they able to enchant
A beaver-made globe to transplant
Whoever touched it to a place
Across the world, through time and space?
The thought truly blew Lizzie’s mind-
And that’s why she just HAD to find
Her Granddad Steve to get a clue:
He was the only one who knew!
So what went on with Lizzie’s mum?
As, let’s be fair, she wasn’t dumb-
She knew that a secret was kept
And something happened while Liz slept-
But despite all her hardest prying
Lizzie just kept on denying
Any strange stuff whatsoever-
Mum stopped asking altogether.
Waiting until midnight again,
Liz crept into her granddad’s den-
Discovering he wasn’t there,
Young Lizzie cried out in despair.
Come to think of it, thought Lizzie-
All day I’ve been very busy
Helping my mum make apple pie-
Far too busy to wonder why
I have not seen Granddad all day,
I really hope that he’s OK.
Liz waited for a little bit
But then she soon got sick of it
and decided to head to bed,
to get some well-earned sleep instead.
(Well, you know Liz just as I do-
I don’t think she’ll do that, do you?)
Chumps was waiting for her up there
Giving her a sad doggy stare
Which said: ‘You’ve left me behind twice,
Now I don’t think that’s very nice,
I think it’s time that you and me
Went off again- do you agree?’
Liz did not like a gloomy Chumps
So got the globe for Mr. Grumps,
Gave it 5 spins and held Chumps’ paw
To get to Canada once more.
But Lizzie must have spun too much,
She must have misaligned her touch
For she opened her eyes to see
Her and Chumps both stuck up a tree!
Where they were, Lizzie was not sure-
Was this the forest from before?
They were surrounded by pure green-
In the distance, ocean could be seen-
But somehow Liz was feeling HOT
While in Canada, she had not.
She looked around to find more clues
But as she did, started to lose
Her balance, and fell from the tree,
Bouncing straight off a branch or three!
As she analyzed all her bumps
And looked up at poor lonely Chumps,
She felt a WHOOSH against her shin
That sent her flying in a spin!
But when she stopped and looked behind,
There was nothing there she could find
That could even start to explain-
WHOOSH! And there it was again!
Chumps was barking like a loon
And dangling off like a baboon,
Following something with his head:
‘What are you chasing?’ Lizzie said
Then she saw it! A blur of grey,
Just what it was, Liz could not say,
That moment, Chumps fell out the tree
And Liz heard a voice: ‘Get off me!’
Chumps squealed and ran away with fear
Young Liz felt nosy, so stepped near
To this grey and white ball of fluff
Who said to Liz ‘Oof! I feel rough!’
Was this a koala she could see?
No, Liz thought, it couldn’t be,
Aren’t koalas supposed to be lazy,
Not running around like crazy?
And koalas’ homes were somewhere great:
They lived in AUSTRALIA, mate.
‘G’day mate, my name is Shane-
That dog of yours caused me some pain,
Sorry if I gave you a scare
When I ran round from here to there.’
Animals talking to Lizzie
Failed to get her in a tizzy,
But there’s one thing she had to know:
‘Aren’t koalas supposed to be slow?’
‘Wow! You don’t beat around the bush!
All koalas need is that PUSH
They all just eat and sleep, you see-
That’s why I’ve formed the K.R.G.’
‘What’s that?’ said Liz, ‘I’m out the loop,’
‘We’re the Koala Running Group.’
‘So, just how many others run?’
Shane said, ‘I am the only one:
But all I need is promotion
To get koalas in motion.’
‘That must keep you very busy,
We can help you!’ said young Lizzie.
Shane said: ‘Koalas love to hide
And have foolish amounts of pride.
You’ll never find them, let alone
Get them to run. Nope, I’m alone
In wanting to move round and run
Koalas don’t think running’s fun.
They just eat eucalyptus leaves
At a rate you would not believe.
They think the joy of life’s to sit:
A life that I just had to quit.’
Lizzie said ‘We’ll give it a go,
The process might be rather slow,
But even if we just find one,
That will make your running more fun!
Chumps will see the koalas well-
And don’t forget his sense of SMELL!’
With that, young Lizzie scoured the trees
And once in a while, Chumps would freeze
And look up, then would bark like mad
‘Shh! Koalas will think we’re bad!
Just sniff them out; at the right spot
Whimpering’s fine, barking is not.’
Chumps had to be scolded several ways
Before he’d listen to Lizzie Hayes.
Though she searched far, and she searched wide-
Those koalas just LOVED to hide!
But then! A rustle in the bush,
All three were silent, then a WHOOSH
Came out of nowhere from behind
To which Shane shouted: ‘Do you mind?’
A fur-ball, the colour of ash,
Turned and said: ‘Sorry for that dash!
I’m always running from here to there,
Next time round, I will take more care.
My name’s Walt; I happen to be
Head of the W.R.T!’
‘W.R.T?’ replied Shane,
Walt said: ‘You must think I’m insane!
It stands for Wombat Running Team-
I know how crazy that must seem.
Once, I was chased by a dingo,
Panicked for a while, then BINGO!
I suddenly started to RUN,
And discovered that it was FUN!
I started W.R.T,
But did not find wombats like me.’
‘Mate, I know what you’re going through-
As I have a running group too!
No luck with members whatsoever.’
Liz said ‘You should join together
To make ONE team out of your two,
Then neither of you will feel blue,
Your lonely running days will end-
You’ll always have a running friend!’
While Walt was jumping up and down,
Shane was quiet and wore a frown.
‘There’s something we must do before
I know it’s a good plan for sure.
Let’s go for a run, just to see
If both our running styles agree.’
Walt nodded and said ‘That’s fair play-
I tend to get carried away!’
‘So GO!’ said Lizzie- they stayed still.
‘I said GO, GO, GO! Up that hill!’
Shane led the way, followed by Walt,
Neither of them came to a halt
Until they reached the very top:
Even then, not long did they stop!
At first, old Chumps joined in the race-
But he couldn’t keep to their pace!
Two minutes rest, they came back down
And Shane no longer wore his frown.
‘I won! But you reach a good speed.
Walt, you run very fast indeed.’
Lizzie said: ‘Call the team K-WART,
It’s preferable when names are short!’
Then the koala and wombat
Looked like they were locked in combat
As the pair both butted their heads.
Liz said: ‘Can’t you shake hands instead?’
‘Shake hands? Don’t take offence, my dear,
But that sounds like a strange idea!’
Grinning, Liz said: ‘It’s time to go.
How do we get back, do you know?’
‘Where are you going, mate?’ asked Shane,
Liz said: ‘It’s tricky to explain…’
Walt said: ‘Come with us for a run-
I promise you it will be fun!’
Not knowing what else she could do,
Liz said ‘O.K, but I’ll beat you!’
So off they ran, laughing away,
Chumps thought this a fun game to play,
Liz fell behind, then couldn’t see
Walt or Shane- but where could they be?
She looked behind, but just saw BLACK
Then turned forward and she was BACK
In Granddad’s study, with the dog
And Steve was there, adding a log
To the flames in the fireplace.
Steve smiled and said ‘Why the shocked face?
My love, where have you been tonight?
Sorry I could not join your flight,
There’s somewhere that I had to be
And someone that I had to see.
Sit down: what joys did this night bring?’
So Liz told Granddad everything.
When she finished, Granddad Steve said:
‘When your grandma and I first wed,
Australia was where we went
And quite a lot of time was spent
Seeking koalas in the sun,
But never did we see one RUN,
Or see a wombat at high speed-
A very special thing indeed!’
‘Both of them were the only ones’
Said Liz, ‘of their species to run,
But both of them still made their teams,
Alone, but still chasing their dreams.’
‘Lizzie, my dear, these two creatures
Have both been inspiring teachers.
‘You can do anything,’ said Steve,
‘All you need to do is believe.’
‘If you are trying something new,
Your friends might not want to join you
As they are scared of the unknown,
They’ll think you’re mad to be alone.
If you keep on, if you pursue
Your dreams, you’ll find others like you,
Follow your dreams, be brave and strong-
True happiness will come along.’
With her mind bursting at the seams
With happy thoughts and crazy dreams,
Liz went to bed feeling brand new-
The world was hers; it is yours, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment