Sunday 2 October 2011

A Typical Fijian Sunday...


A few weeks ago, I mentioned that one of the only things to do on a Sunday in Suva is go to church…so when Ro Iva (one of the FCOSS staff)invited me to her church, I thought I’d pop along to see what it was all about.



The first pastor to speak (out of around six) wore a shirt and tie, and a sulu- very different from the dog-collar and gown that many Western priests wear. Fiji’s multiculturalism was especially evident during his ‘bible study’, with every lesson translated into Fijian and Hindi by congregation members. Also note lovely wooden beams on the ceiling- and much needed ceiling fan. It was getting pretty hot in there!




A sample of the four choir singers singing gospel-style hymns, in a mix of English and Fijian. Lots of keen singing during the service- got to brush up on my Fijian pronunciation (will blog about that another time!). Pretty catchy songs, not gonna lie...found myself clapping along a fair few times! The man in the shirt and tie is another pastor…




Our Fijian-style lunch. Bottom right is vakasakera- a dish from the nearby Lau islands, comprising of mashed-up fish, clams, mosita (a Fijian cabbage), and coconut. Bottom left is kari baigani- an aubergine/eggplant curry usually served with roti bread. So delicious I had a second helping! This was made by one of five families who lunch together after the morning church service (and before attending the afternoon church service) and take it in turns to make lunch for around 40 church-goers. It will be the turn of Ro Iva’s family next week…it all needs to be prepared before 10am! Really lovely to chat to all of Ro Iva’s family and friends…not so lovely to be stung by a bee during lunch! However, the latter did mean I got to sample a typical Fijian home remedy to bee stings…mud! Try it at home folks, it really does work…

I cannot thank Ro Iva’s family- and Ro Iva herself, of course- for making me feel so welcome. For many Fijians, church is not just a event on Sunday, it is Sunday!

What better way to round off a typical Fijian Sunday than (finally) trying to make ourselves some kava? Apart from the fact that I might have put a little too much of the powder in, I think it turned out pretty well! I mean, we only had one glass each, but we’re still getting acquired to that slightly muddy, watery taste and mouth-numbing sensation...a few more tries and we'll be experts!




So, we're determined to have a proactive week of tennis, swimming, yoga and enquiring about sailing...we'll see if we manage it all! Apologies for the lack of book reviews...am plodding through Dumas' The Count Of Monte Cristo at the moment. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it...it's just loo-oo-oong! Will hopefully have finished it by the time I leave Fiji in December...

Off to Caqalai Island this weekend (pronounced than-ga-lie...remember what I said about Fijian pronounciation??!) with the Rucksack Club- an outdoor-activities group we've joined to get involved in some fun activities, and to meet new people. Should be good fun...maybe the locals there can teach us how to drink kava properly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment