Tuesday 25 October 2011

Happy Diwali Everybody!


Fireworks lighting up the skies every night. Women rushing around the shops trying to find the perfect sari/salwar kameez. Fairy lights draped around houses, and Suva city. Gifts of home-made Indian sweets from our new Indo-Fijian friends. The pre-Diwali excitement this week has been contagious; to say Diwali is popular here is a gross understatement!

I had heard of Diwali before coming to Fiji; there are fireworks and processions-a-plenty at Diwali time all around England. However, I'm ashamed to say that my understanding of the festival itself was limited. All I knew was that it was the Hindu 'Festival of Light and Sweetness', and that it was one of the biggest events in the Hindu calender. So when I passed a book-stand with a children's book on Diwali, I snapped it up straight away, hoping to learn more about this festival that had Suva buzzing...

Although usually held in October or November, Diwali is held on a different date each year, according to the Hindu lunar calender. Apparently, the best day to hold Diwali is Amavasya, or 'no moon day': a dark day to truly emphasise the 'Festival of Lights'.
Diwali is celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists. Though there is a common celebration of the triumph of good over evil, each religion- and their respective branches- has a different legend to explain Diwali's origin. In north India, Hindus follow the story of Lord Rama and his wife Sita, who returned home after 14 years in exile. After Lord Rama rescued Sita from the clutches of the demon King Rawan, there was an almighty battle between the two, resulting in the death of the demon. The people of Ayodha, home of Lord Rama, believed that their beloved future king was a hero, and lit the way for he and Sita with diyas (oil lamps).

So, that's one of many stories about Diwali's beginnings...how do I intend to celebrate Diwali itself? Well, the festivities began last week, when I went sari-shopping with two of Patrick's lovely co-workers, Sheetangli and Joselyne. I got to experience the technical art of sari-dressing- and believe me, it is tricky! Major respect for those ladies who were folding, pleating and wrapping the saris at an amazing speed...think I would need a LOT of practice to do it myself! Yesterday, I joined the FCOSS crew at their fantastic Diwali lunch (will post pictures of this up later). There are a few pictures of the FCOSS ladies below...Ro Iva, the lady on the left, made a Fijian version of her sari as part of a competition to find the best 'Fijian-Influenced Sari' competition. Good luck Iva- I think you did a fantastic job! The salwar kameez that I am wearing was kindly lent to me by Mr. Khan, the executive director at FCOSS. I could definitely get used to wearing a kameez on a regular basis- they keep you cool in the sticky heat, and are incredibly comfortable!

As I write, it is Diwali day itself. One incredible, unique aspect of Diwali is how open and welcoming everybody is; a few people have invited us to join them in their nightly celebrations! Festivals are such a fun way to learn about another religion/culture, especially if you allow yourself to be swept away by it all!

Right, I'm off to get ready and don my salwar kameez once more. Happy Diwali everybody! More Diwali pictures to come very, very soon...

Our favourite sari!



The FCOSS ladies: Ro Iva, Shahana, Ashika and me!


No comments:

Post a Comment