Wednesday 3 October 2012

A Little London Update...

I'm sorry that I've kept everybody hanging for a while; it's literally been one of the craziest months of my life. Yes, even crazier than India. I've hardly had time to think my thoughts, let alone write them down. After Fiji time, just getting used to London's unique blend of disdain, politeness and vigilance has been nostalgically challenging- who knew those two could ever form an oxymoron?

So, where do I begin? Our flat is a good place...literally. The housemates, good times. It's been fun having a few Canadians (Patrick and his UBC pal, Dan) around the place; neither are new to London, but London living is a whole new kettle of fish. Rosh (my Exeter uni mate and fellow housemate) is always awesome, of course...even with her cheesy jokes.

What do you call a fear of giants?
Feefifofia.
How do you lure a bear our of a cave?
Camembert.
What cheese do you use to hide a horse?
Mascarpone.

The flat itself, location etc...good times. The flat's functionality...bloody hell. Leak through two floors, blocked drainage, peeling walls... the list goes on. Lucky that my housemates make up for it all with their humour, chit-chat and wine-buying. Ignoring our flat fails, the overarching goal for September..JOBS. I'd emphasise that London is BLOOMIN' expensive, but that's probably like accentuating that an elephant DEFINITELY has a trunk. Anyway, moving on. By some sort of divine intervention, all of our housemates have managed to find job-related success during this mental month. I've gone back to my bar roots in Shepherd's Bush- a transition that has been far easier than expected. To be honest, fine-dining waitressing makes any other kind of hospitality seem like a dream...even if people keep thinking I'm Aussie. Gotta stop going up at the end of those sentences...

Of course, there's been plenty of celebrating going on, especially at our housewarming. More buzzing then any of us lonely souls (cue the violins) ever expected, the wine and whiskey flowed...perhaps a little too much. Again, moving on...

Sadly, I've been neglecting my Kindle of late; 'Cloud Atlas' has been sitting half-read for a while now. Stephen King would chastise me for making excuses about failing to read, and I completely agree; if you want to read, you will read no matter what is going on your life. Once I get past this current mayhem, reading will take priority in my life again. I'm loving the way life is going right now, but I'm definitely looking forward to some sort of normality, whatever that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment