Monday 25 June 2012

Next Stop, Vladivostok...

In what has quickly become one of my travelling traditions, I'm writing a short and sweet blog post from my favourite airport- Incheon, South Korea. In one hour, I'll be up in the air heading towards Vladivostok, one of the most easterly points of Russia.

So, am I ready for our month-long Trans-Siberian adventure? The answer is a resounding YES, though along with the butterflies, there are of course a few obligatory nerves rattling around my stomach. Crazily enough, one of my main worries- and subjects of my curiosity- is the undecipherable Russian language with its Cryllic characters. I remember our struggles in China with our lack of understanding for Chinese characters....I hope we can somehow make ourselves understood in Russia. Then again, I think food- and drink- will unite us with the Russian people. Food is an internationally understood language, and can be a way to show our appreciation for the Russian culture, and the people themselves, in a way that a few badly-learned Cryllic words never could.

I've flicked through the Lonely Planet. I'm halfway through Doestroevsky's 'The Idiot'. Yet somehow, I still have no true idea of what to expect from Russia. All I know is that there will be a lot of vodka, lots of carbs, a lot of distance covered, and a lot of RUsiian spoken. And you know what- for once I'm fighting my instinctive need to plan, and am going to GO WITH THE FLOW. Who knows what Russia has planned for the two of us?

Watch this space....see you in Russia, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment