Monday 28 May 2012

An Ode To Teaching...


from pbase.com




I started off this crazy year
With some hope and a lot of fear.
How on earth was I meant to teach
When patience was so far from reach?
How could I ever gain control
When I could not be stern at all?
Would I simply go round the bend?
But in I went, at the deep end
With 16 kids under my wing
Who needed help in everything-
Then 3 weeks later, parent’s night
Along with a pneumonia fright.
But things soon began to improve
As I once more started to move.
Soon I got back into the flow
Of school, and slowly got to know
All of my students- how they work-
And quickly discovered the main perk
Of teaching- each child’s unique
And gives you their own brand of cheek!
For us teachers the real test
Is bringing out each child’s best
And making sure that they believe
How much they really CAN achieve.
Reports were not such a disaster;
Writing them made me the master
Of adjectives and the praising phrase
Even if they sent me into a daze!
I think that it just goes to show
That sometimes when you think you know
Who you are, and what you can do-
You really do not have a clue!
I thought my patience would wear thin,
That I’d assert no discipline-
And yes, sometimes I found it hard
When a kid caught me right off guard-
But mostly I just kept my cool
And was strict without being cruel,
(On the whole) the kids took my word
And did not think I was absurd
(Well, not that I knew, anyway!)
So, what else is there to say?
My fellow teachers- what a bunch,
I’ve enjoyed our chats over lunch,
You’ve made it hard for me to go-
So kind and helping me to grow
In confidence about my teaching,
Supporting me without preaching.
So vinaka, my teacher friends-
And before this little rhyme ends
I must thank each and every one
Of my students for all the fun
And smiles you’ve brought me each day-
You’ve also made me want to stay.
You’ve made me laugh, you’ve made me think,
You’ve often driven me to drink
And made me think I’ve lost the plot…
But damn, I’ll miss you lovable lot.

from bbc.co.uk
 P.S Will get round to taking some of my own pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment