Sunday 4 December 2011

One More Workshop For The Road...

So, after deciding that fronting one workshop just wasn't enough, I agreed to host another, this time on a subject close to my heart- creative writing. To be more precise, it was on 'life writing'- helping those who have decided to write their memoirs. I had a nice small group of 8 people, all of different ages and backgrounds. One lady, a school principal originally from Australia, had worked all over the world in the last 40 years: Jeruselum, Hong Kong, and the Chinese mainland to name but a few. Another man, a Chinese-Fijian, had a true rags-to-riches story: coming from nothing, and now the CEO of a company.  I also loved the range of ages: one girl was in high school, while another was just past retirement age. It just goes to show that it's never too early to start thinking about how to write your life story.

Despite the shenanigans the night before (yes, I had to conduct this workshop the morning after Georgina's party! Clever!), I think the workshop went fairly well. Everybody seemed to enjoy the writing tasks that I gave them to help improve their writing style, and most importanty, were keen to share their writings with the rest of the class. Impressively enthusiastic for early on a Saturday morning...certainly made my job much easier!

I'm afraid there's no pictures to show- think my photo-taking quota for the weekend was filled up on Friday night! But both workshops I've conducted have been fantastic experiences- certainly ones I never anticipated when I first came to Fiji. Thanks so much to Mr. Khan for taking me on as a volunteer in the first placedo (it's all because of that big red banner outside!), and for trusting me enough to conduct workshops like this, even though I had never done it before! It really does wonders for your confidence when somebody has faith in you- so thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you and the rest of the FCOSS team again in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment