Tuesday 26 October 2010

INDIA: My Final Impression...

So, we're in India's capital at the minute. Our final train journey in India was alas not a pleasant one- blooming freezing! And Patrick saw the one thing I've been dreading since we first stepped on trains- a MOUSE in the carriage! So...not the most comfortable journey!
   From what we'd heard, we expected Delhi to be extremely stressful from beginning to end. We've only been here one day, and maybe we're used to it by now, but it was nowhere near as hassling as we were expecting. In fact, it seemed like a breeze after Mumbai! Then again, we haven't explored the city yet- we've spent most of the day chilling and reflecting on our time in India. It's difficult to express how you feel about a country, but I thought I'd have a go in these two poems anyway...

I am India

Some would say
I had a playful side,
Others think
I take you for a ride.
All the colours
shine from my white smile,
weaved into clothes
of elegant style.
I throw aromas
to dazzle your mind,
I chuck in spices
to burn your behind!
Put cows in your path-
don't ask me why!
Deafen you with honks
and 'garam chai'.
Give you heaven
with beaches and sunrise pink-
give you hell
with the alley's gut-heaving stink.
I bombard your vision
with crowds and lights,
then peace in the desert
with star-filled nights.
I chew paan and spit
red sparks on the street,
I make you sing loud
and move your shy feet!
I beg
for chocolate, coin and pen.
I take
the lives of starving men,
I grab, I stare
right into your soul;
my sad eyes burn
a permanent hole.
I scatter your senses
near and far,
so you leave not knowing
who you are.

Brothers

Neither one of us
understands the other-
though you frustrate me,
you are like my brother.
With all my heart
I desire to win yours.
In the confusion
I reveal my flaws-
don't hate me for them,
I do the best I can.
It's India's fault
I'm such a desperate man.
Just learn to love me
and my beautiful land;
please don't be afraid
to shake my withered hand.
I'm confused by you
And you're confused by me.
Accept we're different,
love it, and set us free.

No comments:

Post a Comment