Saturday 4 September 2010

Other Mental Mumbai Moments...

Oh, there have been a few..I'll try and keep it short!

That first night we had guests in our room- bedbugs. We'd been lucky enough to avoid them in Australia (narrowly), so I guess we were owed the compulsory cameo appearance.
   Needless to say, we scarpered out of that hotel pretty sharpish the next morning!! After a breakfast of SWEET scrambled eggs (with raisins and nuts- who knew that would work?!), we went shopping in Colaba, where I had my first haggling experience! I was so proud when I got him down from 250 rupees to 200- until I wore it for more than an hour, and managed to rip it pretty badly. Dammit!
   We headed back to the Gateway to India, where once again our white faces were the new tourist attraction. This time, a few Indian tourists asked to have their photo taken with us. That was fine- a little surreal, but fine- but then a few more groups came. Then a few families with young children. Then a few professional photographers...It was all starting to get a little crazy, so when we got 2 seconds we upped and left. After shaking off a few more tourists wanting photos, a VERY persistent woman (tying bracelets around our wrists and asking for 'bread for the children'), and various 'balloon-wallahs' (men who sell man-sized balloons with paint speckled on them- and look at you incredulously when you don't want one), we finally headed home. In the evening we tried 'dosas' for the first time- delicious!
    All the madness has taken its toll on us a little bit today- a very slow As much as I'm growing to love Mumbai, I'm very much looking forward to a chilled out few days in Goa. Although we've got a 12 hour night-time bus ride first.... See you there! xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment