Friday 7 March 2014

A Little Indulgent Reflection...

If you'll excuse me everybody, I am just going to allow myself a little self-indulgent reflection on the last five years. Deep, I know- but I have to do it sometimes, or I'm worried that a lot of memories will get lost. I know I'll always have this faithful blog to remind me of the good times, but still...sometimes you need to see it written out in front of you.

Five years ago...I was bookselling at Waterstones, saving for my first big trip to Australia.




Four years ago...I was waitressing in Melbourne, saving for my first big trip to Asia.




Three years ago...I was riding on the back of a motorbike in Vietnam.





Two years ago...I was teaching primary school children in Fiji.




One year ago...I was about to start a new career entirely as a travel agent with Flight Centre.

....and here I am now.

When I look at the black-and-white facts in front of me, it's clear to me that this is not what I expected five years ago. Any 'five-year-plans' I had made were blown out of the water after meeting Patrick, and staying in Australia a while.

Just because I've become less of a 'planner' about my everyday life, it doesn't mean that I have lost sight of my ultimate plan. That goal of mine- to get novel/poems of mine published- is still such a burning desire, and actually burns brighter every day. This has been my dream since I was five years old- cheesy, but true. I will get there- I have to get there- I just need to be patient and persistent. Oh, and I actually need to write some more.

I guess what I'm trying to say- to myself, as much as everybody else- is that aiming for dreams is good (make sure the Dream Snatcher does not take them away), but also plans should be flexible. Life is about two things- being happy, and being challenged everyday. Often these things go hand in hand, but it is important to remember that this is what life should be about. We should never feel like we are in a rut, going along just because we feel like we have to. We need to do exactly what we want to do (without hurting anybody along the way, of course)- or at least start on the path of doing so, if we can't get there yet. See the positive side in every 'obstacle' in your life- you may see it as a stepping stone in five years time.

Right, that's enough deep thought for me. Time for a cider on this sunny Friday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment