Saturday 12 January 2013

My New Year's Travelutions...

...sometimes I like to think I'm Lewis Carroll and make up words!

Since I've cut down to just the one job, I've had a little time for some reflection about what I want from the next year. You all know where my brain goes when it gets a chance to wander...here, there and everywhere. 2013 has to be the year where I take advantage of living in one of the world's most aestheically, gastronimically and historically diverse continents. Here are the top five European destinations that I would love to visit this year, even if it ends up bankrupting me...

1. Slovakia




Skulking in the shadows of the Czech Republic, pictures I have seen of Slovakia's natural beauty always take me a little by surprise. What other gems are hiding in this dark horse of a country? 

2. Turkey





This far-eastern country has been on my list for a while, but working at Travel the Unknown has fuelled this even more. Goebleki Tepi just sounds incredible- I can't believe that this ancient temple dates back from 9,000B.C...two centuries before the first city was created! Even if I could just manage a city break to the dynamically cosmopolitan Istanbul, I will be one happy girl.

3. Sweden




Now that we've visited Finland, my appetite has been whetted for the rest of Scandinavia. Patrick has hinted of a summer road trip in this region, starting in Denmark and ending up in Sweden. I am unbelievably keen for this, especially after seeing how cheap flights are to this region. Who knows, maybe we'll even catch a hockey game?...

4. Ireland





I know, I know- living in England and never having been to Ireland is like never having said hello to your next door neighbour. I've been to a fair few "Irish" pubs across the world- I want a pint of Guinness in a real Irish pub, served by Irish barmen I only half understand.

5. Iceland




Feeling my flesh tingle as I sit in a burning hot pool in ice-cool surroundings...one experience that I\m hoping Iceland can offer me. That's even before the Northern Lights, or the chance to visit the world's most northernmost city.

On second thought, maybe I will make this list a 2 year plan. Right, I'm off to check flights on Skyscanner...

No comments:

Post a Comment