Thursday 8 March 2012

So, It's Been A While...

...but I promise I have a good excuse this time. I somehow managed to contract pneumonia...the last thing I expected in a tropical climate! This led to my first ever hospital admittance, and an insight into two Fijian hospitals. I ended up in three different hospital beds over the 6 days- Suva Private for one night, a six bed public ward for two nights, and a private room for three nights. Don't feel too bad for me; I had my own bathroom, TV, microwave AND fridge in the latter room!  Yes, all of that actually did make me very excited- and soon helped me to forget that the room had been fumigated of bed-bugs just a few days before. Those little rascals...they pop up everywhere, eh? I even managed to make 3 friends in the six-bed ward- two mother-like figures who told me to wrap up warm and asked where I was going whenever I stood up, and a girl around my age who was a fellow primary school teacher. All the nurses were lovely, if convinced that I was here on holiday or at university...they all seemed surprised that I was a teacher! Although let's face it, I'm a little surprised of that fact sometime myself!...

So, hospital life wasn't all that bad. Lots of visitors from school- and Patrick- helped to cheer me up, as did the treat of having my yearly McDonald's quota- two meals- in one week. (This is sober, of course- Mcdonald's after a night out doesn't count...). This was no cheap treat either- $23 FJD for one Big Mac meal and chicken nuggets?? Scandalous! Oh dear...the dicusssion of Mcdonald's prices is my cue to sign off, I think. Hospital talk isn't interesting, but Mcdonald's talk is even less so.

I'll leave you with the promise of a fair few book reviews; another positive of being in hospital is the opportunity to read, read, read!! So far, have finished Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Kevin- a book that I'm both glad and not so glad that I've finally read- and have got sucked in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games trilogy. I'm embracing my inner teenager...and loving it! I'll also be writing about our fun weekend with the Martz's on the Coral Coast, eating lovo and drinking kava! Speak soon xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment