Monday 7 February 2011

...And Making Friends In Thai Clubs...

Why did we choose to go to Phayao? We hadn't heard of it, it was random, and it had good night markets. On that very (ahem) thorough basis, we waited in the most frustrating queue in Asia yet (and I've queued in India!) at Chiang Mai bus station, and took the three hour bus ride there. Not the most pleasant bus ride I've been on- it had air-con...but it didn't work. No air-con, plus leather seats, makes for a very hot and sticky bus ride.
   Luckily, Phayao itself made up for the journey. As we explored and tried to find a map (to no avail), it just seemed like a typical Thai town, with minimal English (quite a novelty in our trip through Thailand). Then we made it to the waterfront in time for sunset, and it revealed its secret trump card...Khao Phayao, the largest swamp in Thailand. Now, a swamp might not sound much of a selling point, but with misty-dark mountains far into the distance, and a perfect pink-purple cloudless sunset, it was transformed into something magical...more like a huge watercolour painting. To accentuate the unreal feeling, huge pictures of the Thai King were lit up in neon pink everywhere, as dozens of Thai couples and families picnicked by the reflective pink waters. One of the best sunsets I've seen in Thailand...in a random town. But then again, the unexpected kind are the best kind.









   Enjoying a Chang after this beautiful sunset, we were suddenly approached by a Canadian guy, asking where we were staying. He and his friend, a Dutch lady named Lisa, had just driven into town, and had nowhere to stay. We ended up chatting with them for a while...and in fact, a few days later, have traveled with them all the way to Chiang Rai! Here's how we cemented our friendship...
   Gary (the Canadian guy) asked us if we wanted a 'real drink' of liquor, so the four of us bought a bottle of gin between us, and a fair few tonics. I'm not even a huge fan of gin and tonic (almost as bad as not liking tea for an English girl!), but I soon became a fan that night. Before I knew it, we'd chatted about everything and anything, it was 1am, and we were taking photos of the Thai group next to us. Surely a good point to end the night? So you would think...
   As Gary and Lisa headed to their hotel, Patrick and I decided to do the same...but we didn't even make it to the next bar before we were dancing with a group of young Thais, and following them into the small club below. 'BM Pub!' said one guy with cool thick-rimmed glasses that I suspect were a fashion statement and not a necessity, 'We will be there!' Now possessed with the power of the groove, we inevitably went to the aforementioned club. Was it a mistake? I can't decide...maybe you can decide for us...
   I can honestly say that the Thai people we got dancing with in BM Pub (not your average fireplace-in-the-corner, beers-on-tap pub, more of a club) were the friendliest I have ever met in a club. There were two groups opposite each other that kept trying to woo us to their table. One girl, very pretty and speaking very good English, asked if she could 'have my boyfriend for half an hour'. At least I think so; my hearing wasn't fantastic against hundreds of Thais belting out the words to a Thai pop classic. I didn't really care though; I politely declined her offer and kept on dancing with her. Deciding we were new fans of the Thai rockers playing on stage, we rushed to the front, where we made yet another group of friends. I don't remember much from them, but I think our pictures together speak a thousand words...



The girl who asked to 'borrow my boyfriend for half an hour'.









   Anyway, scoffing popcorn we bought inside the club, we eventually dragged ourselves out, leaving many weeping friends behind us (or not!) This is the part of the evening I remember the least. All I know is that I started the evening with a pair of flip-flops, and returned to our hotel (which we could have only found by divine intervention) with none. Gary and Lisa found it all hilarious when we met with them the next day...they couldn't believe we'd gone out to party afterwards!
   So, lessons to learn from this, folks? Random Thai towns can be the most fun. And make sure you get home with both of your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment